The goal of the Video News Program is to become the eyes and ears of the Missouri YMCA Youth and Government program. This program allows all students to view the workings of the other program areas while they are at the hotel after long sessions each day. It provides an overall perspective of the entire proceedings through news reports and special programming so that delegates may become better participants by staying informed. The program also keeps students updated on the activities they are expected to attend and participate in during the State Convention.
The structure of the program is that of a television station. The Video News Directors make assignments for the reporter crews to cover while at the State Convention. The advanced students are then asked to help with the novice reporters in preparing their news packages. Packages are turned in by deadlines and then student directors prepare the packages for the newscasts. Students are evaluated by the quality of their news packages and have input for their further assignments when the goals have been met, allowing for creativity beyond the requirements of the productions.
The primary responsibilities of a member of the Video News Program will be to:
- Research topics for stories.
- Develop rapport with students in order to compile truthful, insightful, and accurate stories.
- Be able to form a bond with fellow news team members and follow the rules.
- Become trusted member of the media team by demonstrating accuracy in reporting and a willingness to succeed. Upholding the First Amendment rights is the first and foremost goal in reporting.
- Exceed expectations set by the Video News Director and Program Coordinators.
- Observe all facets of the State Convention.
Youth leadership opportunities for the Video News Program may include serving as Director or other supporting roles as determined by the director.
Participants are chosen from those who register by the following guidelines:
- Participants must complete the Student Registration Form on the YAG website by the stated deadline to participate at the State Convention.
- Students who register must have access to equipment necessary for television news production (video camera, microphone, tripod, batteries, etc.). Students can form groups to consolidate equipment needs.
- Participants in the Video News Program are responsible for staying informed of local, regional, and statewide YAG activities. It is also recommended that they develop contacts with local news media and inform them of their local YAG delegation.
- The number of participants in the Video News Program is limited to 25 students.